The Iosco County Sheriff's Office is currently accepting applications for a Part-Time Corrections Officer
Benefits are only available to Full Time Employee's. Part-Time positions generally lead to full time positions through attrition.
REPORTS TO: CORRECTION CORPORAL AND JAIL ADMINISTRATOR
STATUS: FULLTIME OR PART TIME
BARGAINING UNIT: POLICE OFFICERS ASSOCIATION OF MICHIGAN
Performs a variety of routine and specialized duties to maintain security, custody and control to ensure the health and safety of inmates, staff, volunteers, and the public.
Listed under competencies are the essential functions of the position. [This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirements.
1. Maintains security of facility by observing and controlling inmate behavior, enforcing
discipline, and reporting observations;
2. Inspects the living conditions within the housing units for compliance with sanitation objectives;
3. Conducts checks of inmate housing and cell searches for inmate census and detection of
4. Controls, operates, and inspects life safety equipment, electronic safety and surveillance
equipment, and door control systems;
5. Monitors visitors/volunteers entering and exiting the facility;
6. Monitor video and inmate communications via new technologies;
7. Performs booking, fingerprinting, identification, and records maintenance procedures;
8. Participates in evacuation procedures and maintains security in emergency situations;
9. Provides information to inmates and the public regarding corrections facility rules and
10. Maintains security of prisoners transported to the holding area in the Courts building and
provides a safe environment within courtrooms and surrounding areas;
11. Provides escort and transport services and security of inmates to various locations
Corrections Officer 08/14/13
12. Physically restrains inmates with handcuffs, leg irons, and other appropriate restraint devices as
13. Testifies in court proceedings;
14. Participates in the investigation and compilation of information regarding inmate grievances
and disciplinary hearings;
15. Maintains appropriate security and confidentiality of all information and materials encountered
in the performance the officers duties;
16. Assists in updating policies, operational procedures, programs, and statistical data;
1. Analysis and Problem Solving: Makes sound, well-informed, and objective decisions. Identifies problems, determines the accuracy and relevance of information, and uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, perceiving the impact and implications of decisions.
2. Attention to Detail: Performs work in a thorough and conscientious manner while attending to
3. Customer Service: Works with all stakeholders to assess their needs, provide information or
assistance in a quality and timely manner.
4. Adaptability: Adapts to change in the work environment; manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change delays or unexpected events.
5. Organizations Values: Respect, integrity, commitment and honesty.
6. IT Application: Proficient in the use of job-relevant information systems and/or software
applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, automated research tools, database applications, internet, and new electronic technology.
7. Confidentiality: Must maintain confidential and secure records and information at all times.
8. Oral Communication: Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into
account the audience and nature of information. Makes clear and convincing oral presentations.
Listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
9. Conflict Management: The ability to limit the negative aspects of conflict while increasing the
positive aspects with the ability to de-escalate volatile situations between inmates.
10. Teamwork: Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust, and group identity. The ability to effectively establish and maintain healthy interpersonal relationships with team members.
11. Written Communication: Recognizes or uses correct English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Communicates information in a succinct and organized manner. Produce written information,
which may include technical material that is appropriate for the intended audience.
This list may not be inclusive, of the total scope of job functions to be performed. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or modified at any time.
• High school diploma or equivalent or
• An associate’s Degree in correctional sciences, law enforcement, criminal justice administration,
public administration, or closely related field is preferred
• Considerable knowledge of modern corrections principles, procedures, techniques, and
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain a valid State Driver's License without record of suspension or
revocation in any state.
• Ability to meet and maintain department's physical and fitness standards;
• Completion of Michigan Sheriff's Training and Coordination Training Counsel 160 Hour Training
Academy, Physical Agility Testing, and Mental Health Evaluation.
• The ability to multi-task in a highly paced environment while working with security and
electronics while being aware of your surroundings at all times;
• Able to work in areas with large groups or numbers of inmates;
• Carries and safely deploys department approved and issued firearms / tasers and other defensive weapons when so directed;
• May be required to: climb or reach, sit, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear, use
• May occasionally be required to lift/move over 100 pounds.
1. Must be able to work all shifts, weekends, and holidays for this 24-hour operation; and
2. Confined building and spaces.
3. May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, infectious diseases.
4. Noise level moderate to high
5. Encounters dangerous situations.
6. May be subjected to confrontational situations which requires the ability to defend themselves and
fellow co-workers or other inmates.
Salary Range $13.53 - $17.69 /hr for Correctional Officer
Promotional Potential to $19.25/hr for Corrections Corporal